Frequently Asked Firearms Questions in Missouri

Have CCW from another state; just moved to Missouri. What should I do?

If you have a concealed carry permit from a state that Missouri recognizes, then you're good to go. There is no need to test again and get a Missouri CCW. You just need to keep your current out-of-state CCW current and up to date. As long as you can renew your current CCW via mail, you'll be fine.

How old do I have to be to get a Missouri CCW?

A Missouri resident must be at least 19 years old to apply for a concealed and carry permit, with a few exceptions. A person who is at least 18 years old and is a member of the United States Armed Forces, or is honorably discharged from the U.S. Armed Forces, is a citizen of the United States and has assumed residency, and is stationed in Missouri may apply for a Missouri concealed carry permit. The spouse of a member of the U.S. Armed Forces stationed in Missouri who is 19 years old may also apply for a Missouri concealed carry permit.

How much does a CCW permit cost?

The sheriff can charge up to $100 for you to obtain your CCW permit. There are other costs involved as well; specifically the cost of getting your concealed carry training, which can be anywhere from $75 - $125. Concealed Carry renewals can cost up to $50 at the sheriff's office, as per Missouri state law.

How long is my CCW valid for?

As of January 1, 2014, your Missouri concealed carry permit, issued by your sheriff, will be valid for FIVE years.

What Other States Can I Conceal Carry In?

A Missouri concealed carry permit is recognized in many other states. As of April 2015, Illinois is the only neighboring state that a Missouri CCW is NOT recognized in. For a full list, see this link. Note that other states may have laws and definitions that differ from Missouri; so if you're planning on traveling with a firearm, please consult law enforcement, an attorney, or another source of knowledge about the particular state you'll be traveling to/through.

What If I Change My Name or Address?

The CCW holder must notify the sheriff of the NEW jurisdiction within THIRTY DAYS of the change of permanent residence. The sheriff of the new jurisdiction will charge a small processing fee for the change of address. If the permit was issued prior to Aug. 28, 2013, the permit holder shall also furnish proof of the change of address to the director of revenue. The director of revenue shall then reflect the address change on the individual’s driving record. A CCW holder has 30 days to notify the sheriff with legal proof of a name change. There will probably be a small processing fee for changing your name on your Missouri state concealed carry permit. Note: A CCW permit automatically becomes invalid after 180 days if the permit holder fails to notify the sheriff of their change of address or name within that time.

Does the sheriff HAVE to issue me a permit?

Missouri is considered a 'shall issue' state, meaning that as long as you meet the qualifications put forth in the law, there is no arbitrary decision made by the sheriff as to whether you can obtain your permit. If you meet the legal requirements, the sheriff has to issue you your permit. The sheriff office has 45 days to conduct their research and get you your permit.

Can a CCW holder carry a firearm on a public bus?

Unfortunately not. Only law enforcement, commercial security personnel, and persons with consent of the owner are exempt from this provision. (See Section 578.305, RSMo.)

Where Can I Not Carry Concealed

Even if you have a concealed carry permit, you may NOT carry a concealed weapon in the following places: • any police, sheriff, or highway patrol office or station without consent • within 25 feet of any polling place on election day • adult of juvenile jail or institution • courthouse of facilities • any meeting of a government body • bar without consent • airport • where prohibited by federal law • schools • child care facility (without consent of manager) • riverboat gambling facility • amusement parks • any church or place of worship without permission of minister of person representing religious organization • any sports arena or stadium with seating for more than 5,000 • hospitals • private or public property where posted. More Info

Have Another Question Not Covered Here?